Popular Posts

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Diary of a Polished Pro - My Most Embarrassing Networking Moment

The first time I personally attended a power-networking event it was an embarrassing, humiliating disaster. It was also an incredibly valuable experience.

I was running a one-man business consulting shop in Los Angeles, and business wasn't exactly booming. During a marketing call I was invited as a guest to a very formal, fairly exclusive cross-referral network. The room would be full of white collar service providers like attorneys and CPAs. These are no-nonsense folks who bill $300+ per hour. I figured that at least a few of them would be eager to pass me some new business. I was in for a surprise.


Its funny now to think about how unprepared I was when I walked into that room. I really didn't have much of a clue about how to network. But I knew that I needed new business, so I figured, "I own a decent suit and I'm pretty sociable, what the heck, right?" Famous last words.

The meeting format allowed for guests to make a brief self-introduction, or "elevator speech". When my turn came I had no idea what to say. So I stood up, smiled... and made something up. I have no idea what came out of my mouth. Whatever it was must've sounded like a crazy person. I sat down a little light-headed, with that terrible feeling of confusion and regret in my stomach.

At the end of the meeting I was approached by a media coach - someone who preps executives to appear on CNN. She told me in no uncertain terms that what I needed was a proper pitch - and that she was the only person who could do that for me. I was an Entrepre-nerd. She was a Polished Pro.

I engaged her services on the spot. And she was great, in an afternoon she helped me craft a terrific elevator speech. She helped me so much that I've referred her along to many friends and acquaintances. She's amazing! Let me know if you ever need her number.

Yes, for one morning I faced an embarrassing hour or so. I walked into a room of experts over-confident, under-prepared, and took my lumps. That was the beginning of the end of my own Entrepre-nerd days. I could clearly see that Polished Pros knew an easier way.

I learned the hard way. What about you? What will you say next time you're asked, "tell me more about what you do?"


See you there!



No comments:

Post a Comment